We hate to waste anything at Tailored Flooring and looking after the environment is very important to us. Sometimes having left over carpet for a job is unavoidable, but this is where we come in and help you find new ways of using your carpet off-cuts. Here’s a list that we’ve compiled with our top 10 favourite carpet off-cut uses to give you some inspiration.
1. Protect your knees - If you have green fingers and garden a lot, a carpet off-cut is the perfect way to cushion your knees when you are bent down tending to your plants.
2. Muffling floor noise - Place a small square of carpet under all feet of a washing machine or tumble drier and this will reduce the noise from the rattling and shaking that occurs when you are doing a load of washing.
3. Keep floors dry - If you have any large house plants, cut a size of carpet that will fit under the pot and this will absorb any over watering excess.
4. Door mats - Carpet off-cuts are ideal for creating mats for doorways around the home. This will ensure you aren’t bringing dirt from the outside and help to maintain your carpets and wood flooring for longer.
5. Scratch post - If you have a furry friend who has a tendency to scratch at your carpet and furniture, a carpet off-cut works great as a scratch post if you staple it to a wooden board or post. To add more stability and make it freestanding you just need to attach a wooden board to create a base.
6. Prevent floor damage - If you have any furniture directly on wooden flooring you can add a circle of carpet to the bottom of any chair, tables or other furniture to stop scratches or damage.
7. Moving heavy furniture - By sliding a square piece of carpet under each corner of furniture carpet side down it allows you to easily slide it across wooden floors.
8. Adding traction - Keep a few larger carpet off-cuts in your car and if you get into a muddy or icy situation you are able to get them out and put them under your wheels to add traction and hopefully get yourself moving again.
9. Insulate compost heap - When it’s getting cold outside it’s a good idea to cover your compost heap with a piece of carpet to insulate it and keep the heat in to speed up the decomposition process.
10. Protect your car doors - If you park your car in a garage it’s easy to catch your doors on the walls. By attaching pieces of carpet to the garage walls you offer a cushion for the doors and stops any scratches and scrapes.
For more carpet and flooring, hints, tips, inspiration and more check out our other blogs : www.tailoredflooring.co.uk/blog